Cairns Post –
A Brinsmead man has been discharged from Cairns Base Hospital after being stung by an irukandji jellyfish in a dive excursion gone wrong. Malcolm Frost, 26, was diving with friends at Double Island late on Tuesday when he was stung.
He was taken to Palm Cove where lifeguards were alerted about 5.15pm. Lifeguard Lana Shanks, who was on duty at Palm Cove, said Mr Frost was in severe pain and had difficultly breathing.
Ms Shanks called an ambulance before administering bottled oxygen to Mr Frost and using three bottles of vinegar to treat the stinger wound on his lower back.
“When you’ve already used vinegar and administered oxygen, you just need to reassure them,” Ms Shanks said of stinger victims.
“They’re very restless and they won’t sit still.
“When you looked into his face, you just knew he was in pain.”
While Mr Frost was wearing a dive suit when he was stung, North Queensland Surf Lifesaving regional manager Colin Sparkes said the irukandji barb may have penetrated through a tear in the suit or an exposed area of skin.